"Each has his own tree of ancestors, but at the top of all sits Probably Arboreal." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday 28 June 2012

Z is the end of the alphabet

I absolutely gave up on trying to pull a post together for Z, so I suppose that yesterday’s Y is for Yorkshire will have to end my alphabet posts. It’s been an interesting project, which has forced me to look again at parts of my tree I had neglected and think about what I need to do to progress on many of my branches.
Following on from this project, I have begun a new list of ‘research priorities’, which I am adding to as I work through my indexing. Indexing is taking an incredibly long time actually, but it too is highlighting gaps and raising questions about some of my assumptions as well.
Of course, top of the list is the Newby line. My aim is to at least identify both of Walter’s parents and any siblings, to give me a base from which to work. The mysterious Thomas Henry Newby and Walter’s mother are the only 2x great grandparents I haven’t got now, so I’d like to at least complete the set before I do anything else.
In blogging terms, my next set of posts is about ‘turning detective’ – i.e. what we do when the evidence is hard to come by. Some of this is probably rather obvious, especially to the more experienced among you, but I hope there might be the odd useful tip in there. I also hope it will be an opportunity for me to learn from your thoughts on my ideas.
L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...