In the course of writing my post Detective work 1. The clue is in the name, I noticed that actually names also seem to be responsible for a lot of my family mysteries too:
1. Why does Mabel Hayward née Hall become ‘Mrs William Hayward (Mabel Hall Narlian)’ in one instance? Is Narlian a stage name, or perhaps her mother’s name on remarriage (see 3. Below)
2. Did Florence Gibson marry Matthew Hall – if not why is she called Hall by 1911, is it just a coincidence?
3. What name does Kathleen/Kate Hall née Geoghegan take following her divorce from Matthew? Does she remarry?
4. Why do the entire Geoghegan family suddenly adopt the name Heyes on the 1881 census?
5. Is William Hedgcock’s change of surname to Hayward a stage name or something else? If it is his ‘stage name’, why is his marriage registered under it, and why are there so few entries for him in the Stage archives etc.?
6. Why does John Jayne’s mother adopt the name Ann Richard on one census before reverting to Ann Jayne on the next?
7. Are husband and wife Richard Winter and Sarah née Winter related?
And that’s just for starters...